External support groups
This page contains details of support groups in East Lancashire.
Colorectal Cancer Support Group (also known as ELBOW)
- For patients with colorectal cancer, carers, or healthcare professionals.
- The group meets the 2nd Monday of every month at Pendleside Hospice (except bank holidays).
- Telephone 01264 734163 for more information about the group.
Blackburn and East Lancashire Breast Care Support Group
- For anyone who has had breast surgery, is worried about breast cancer, or has any breast problems. The meetings are always attended by a breast care nurse.
- There is plenty of opportunity to chat with the other members of the group following the evening's special topic.
- Telephone 01254 262324
- Meetings 1st Tuesday of the month 7pm - 9pm at Beardwood Hospital, Preston New Road, Blackburn BB2 7AE.
Barnoldswick and Earby Bosom Friends General Cancer Group
- A group of people with experience of cancer offering support to anyone with cancer.
- Telephone 01282 814917
- Meets the last Wednesday of the month 7.30pm - 9.00pm at St. Joseph's Parish Centre, Barnoldswick, BB18 5HA.
Paddlers for Life
This is a charity that aims to improve the health and wellbeing of anyone who has an experience of cancer, especially breast cancer, through physical activity and the sport of dragon boating on Lake Windermere. Once treatment is complete, they offer support and friendship in Cumbria and Lancashire, together with family and friends.
- Telephone 01257 792957 or 07951 791926
- Email enquires to [email protected]
- Address: 62 Longworth Avenue, Coppull, Chorley, PR7 4PL.
Gynaecology Cancer Support Group (Gyn & Tonic)
- This is a group for ladies who have had gynaecological cancer.
- Meets monthly on the 2nd Tuesday 7pm - 9pm at Howard Street Community Centre, Tay Street, Burnley BB11 4PQ.
- Telephone 01282 803 123
Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research - Blackburn & District Branch
- A small group that meets on a regular basis as a committee, organises events, and gets involved with fundraising for the Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research charity.
- Telephone 01254 580780
- Email [email protected]
Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research - Pendle Branch
- A group for patients who have had a haematological cancer. Family and friends welcome. Nursing input at the meetings.
- Meets 1st Tuesday of the month 2pm - 4pm at Accrington Fire Station, Hyndburn Road, Church BB5 4EQ.
- Telephone 01524 733301
- A general blood cancer group meets on the last Wednesday of every month from 6.00pm - 7.30pm at Asda community room in Colne. The group welcomes anyone affected by blood cancer and has regular speakers and discussions, providing information and support. The group is endorsed by the clinical nurse specialists at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust.
- For more information contact Karen Bonell at [email protected], mobile 07710 393891.
Head and neck
Good Vibrations Club - East Lancashire's Laryngectomee Club
- This is a support group for individuals who have undergone a laryngectomy in East Lancashire. Those involved in the club include: laryngectomees, their friends and relatives and support staff.
- Telephone 01254 734755
- Meets the 1st Saturday of the month 2pm - 4pm at Hyndburn Community Fire Station, Hyndburn Road, Church, Accrington, BB5 4EQ.
Helping Hands Support Group
- A support group for patients and carers with head and neck cancer.
- Telephone 01254 235211
East Lancs Prostate Cancer Support Group
- Listening, offering and providing support to those affected or concerned about prostate cancer.
- For meeting dates visit www.elpcsg.com
- Telephone 07548 033 930
Survivors of Bereaved by Suicide (SOBS)
The National Office
The Flamsteed Centre
Tel: 0115 944 1117
SOBS National Helpline: 0300 111 5065
Deaf or Hard of Hearing: Minicom: 01925 826204
Office email: [email protected]